When in Roma

2:08 PM



Roma was bright and sunny, blazing hot under the July sun, buzzing with activity, cobblestone and jaywalking, gelato, ruins, churches,sunburn, all the water you could drink. 
I don't know if I have ever been so hot or thirsty in my life. 

I would like to point out two fears I conquered temporarily while in Rome. 

Jaywalking and heights.

I climbed the winding stairs to the top of the Vatican. It was dizzying to say the least, but the ironcage that surrounds you is oddly comforting. 




Basilica de San Giovanni was a 10 minute walk from our B&B. It was much more subdued in color and style when compared with the Vatican. It was also almost completely empty save for a few visitors. It felt much more peaceful than the Vatican with an atmosphere that was both quiet and gentle.



On our last night in Rome we walked to the Colosseum and wandered about the neighborhoods. It was a bit noisy with the street peddlers but the night was cooler without the sun and the streets were not very busy. To walk among ruins was quite an adventure, and also an adventure I once thought was never possible. So many things have changed since I met my husband. For over 10 years I didn't really travel and rarely even took a long weekend. But this summer I was gifted the chance to walk these ancient roads and see so much history. 




You Might Also Like

0 comments